Monday, December 14, 2009

Random Act of Kindness

Around noon today I received a call from the local library. Assuming it was in regards to Topher’s overdue book that has mysteriously vanished I only half listened. As the gal continued to talk it dawned on me that she was saying "Nathan." Well, instantly I was upset that he had a book that had some how eluded me too. Still not really paying attention I thought it was odd when she gave me someone's name, mentioned Toys 'R Us and gave me a phone number.


Huh?

I replayed the message only to find out that a very kind woman had found Nathan's wallet in the Toys 'R Us parking lot and the only ID was his library card. Thank goodness he had that at least! The woman contacted the library, left her contact info and the library took the time to look him up and call the number on file - me.

I called the good Samaritan and she agreed to meet me near the Toys 'R Us right then to return the wallet. I thanked her over and over and she explained she also has sons and knows how boys can be.

Usually so careful, I have to admit I was disappointed that I hadn't even noticed he had dropped it. We were at Toys 'R Us at Nathan's request so he could spend the remainder of his money on a gift for Topher. It would have been so sad for him to lose his prized wallet after such a thoughtful trip for him.

At this time of year we have so much to be thankful for, including random acts of kindness by wonderful strangers.

Have you experienced or given any random acts of kindness this holiday season?

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful that she returned the wallet!!!

    Hope you're doing well, Shelby!

    ReplyDelete